The Coach House at the lake and the adjoining mansion represent the wondrous, romantic-tragic history of its builders and residents – an epic full of love and romance, tragedy and imposture, the commotion of war and survival.
It all starts around 1900 with Oskar von Laszewski, who considers himself a great actor. His appearance in public as a baron enchants the banker´s widow Anne d´Heureuse. They fall in love with one another, get married and purchase their own property in Caputh around 1900 – the grounds of the mansion and the coach house. They find an architect for their vision, Georg Siewert from Berlin, and entrust him with the construction of a noble mansion. In the first construction stage 1907 the Coach House is finalised and the young couple moves in there at first.
In 1911 the couple moves into the mansion. Oskar had the saloon built like a theatre: colourful stained glass windows show scenes from theatre plays, sorrounded by portraits of famous poets and quotations.
The marriage breaks down. In 1919, only 8 years after its completion, Anna sold the house of her dreams to the Berliner Heinrich Bergmann, a successful owner of a factory and a chain of dry-cleaners. Until today the mansion is named after him, the „Bergmann-Mansion“. He pays the purchasing price to Anna and she moves to Potsdam. Oskar, the actor and bon vivant, remains lost without a trace in the commotion of the time
Bergmann and his wife Martha are living in a city mansion in Berlin and spend the weekends with their family in Caputh. In the middle of the 1930´s he wants to move to a bigger house and strives to sell the premises. Goebbels is interested in buying it and Bergmann withdraws the offer immediately.
Heinrich Bergmann dies in 1940. The mansion in Berlin gets destroyed by bombs and Martha moves to Caputh with her family. 2 years later the Russian Army capture the village and set up an officers´ mess in the mansion. After the end of the war Martha and her family return to the house and run a dry-cleaner there until 1950.
Since 1951 the village of Caputh has been in charge of the premises, turning them into a public kindergarden. The kindergarden exists until 1998 and to present day the citizens of Caputh still treasure its former existence.
In 2008 the entrepeneur Dr. Lothar Hardt buys the mansion and the coach house. He reconstructs the ruinous benchmark and especially pays attention to the preservation of its original charm.
In 2013 the Kapooth Company begins to reconstruct the listed coach house and converts it into holiday apartments. The goal was, and still is, to enable a seasonable utilization of the extraordinary, historic premises at the Caputher Gmünd in order to broaden the local touristic offers in the upscale market.